Rifugio Rinfreddo arises at 1887 metres above sea level, on a wonderful green mountain pasture in the Oriental Dolomites of Val Comelico (northern county of Belluno).
Easily reachable by car (about 9 km from the village of Padola in the municipality of Comelico Superiore), the Rifugio is equipped with 3 bedrooms, for a total of 15 sleeping spaces, toilettes, bathroom with shower, bar and restaurant with home-made local cuisine (see “speciality from the kitchen” on page “our offerings”
Thank to paths and mule-tracks is connected with holiday farmhouse, malghe and rifugi located on the neighbouring valleys, of Comelico, Pusteria in Alto Adige and of Ost-Tirol in Austria. This make it possible for our Guests to chose among innumerable excursions and strolls, the more suitable to their age, physical training and interest.
For the lovers of trekking on mountain-bike we offer a storage for the bikes, who on the other hand loves horse trekking, will be able to take advantage of a stable supplied with hay for the four-legged friend. For this purpose it could be useful to know the Azienda Agrituristica "La Comel Cavallo" of Sacco Comis Maurizio in the Locality of Moiè di Comelico Superiore t number 328 0318324.
Welcomed guests are also families with children, who will be able to fill up with healthy air running strolling and playing away from the dangers of the city
Elton (our boxer) will greet them with hearty welcomes and will introduce them to three pleasant donkeys and to the cows grazing around the place. For our little guests we also have a big slide and a swing, for mums and dads some deckchairs to sunbathe in the mountain sun!! In the villages at bottom of the valley there are sporting and health places, as riding school, rock climbing gymnasium, tennis courts, indoor swimming-pool with water-slide, sauna, massages, heybaths, ... and shops to buy local cheeses, speck, wooden masks, artisan articles and antiques, to give or to keep.
For the fan of the times gone the following is a historical report about the building become; after the recent refurbishment, the Alpine refuge Rinfreddo. The name derives from Mónte on which it rises and from the stream which serves at its border on the East-side. For many centuries cattles from the valley have spend, here at the Col Quaternà slopes, the period of mountain pasture (from giune the 24th, S. Giovanni day till the second week in September). There was a casèrä which was used as Shelter for the shepherds and as workshop for the manufacturing of dairy products: cheese, butter and cottage cheese were the main products. For the animals there was a màndrä (enclosure with a roof) were now sits the parking space. Only in 1928 a stalón (double cowshed) was built to better shelter the cattle from the cold and humidity of the night. In the morning the bòlcu (head shepherd), helped from vèidä grandä and from vèidä pižlä (shepherd and assistant shepherd), with a slice of polenta and a piece of cheese in the jacket pocket for himself and in the other some salt and bran for the cattle, he would take the herd on the prandèrä (daily appointed